SC - Rusks???

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 4 21:46:40 PST 2001

DeeWolff at aol.com wrote:

> I'm diving into a Dutch cookbook and I don't know what rusks are. Can anyone
> help??
>
> Many Thanks,
> Andrea M.

English philos.... oops, that's Ruskin.

Rusks are any of several hard biscuit-y units (biscuit in the
twice-baked sense, not baking-powder, fat, flour, sausage gravy et al).
They can be made from just flour and water, sometimes leavened,
sometimes not, as with, say, the zweiback toasts teething children
sometimes drool on lapels.

Rusks also are the preferred source for the fine breadcrumbs used to
bulk out, smooth, and moisten the texture of some commercial British
sausage products, for example, bangers. When the crumbs are being
referred to, they are often called simply rusk, in the singular.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com