Saumon Gentil (was: SC - Re: SC- Turkish Food)

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Tue Jan 9 22:10:20 PST 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> One of the more tear-jerking moments in my time in the SCA was

I've seen a lady come into the kitchen, fall on her knees and kiss the
hem of the cooks gown. It *was* an excellent banquet, and Celemon had
done an outstanding job.

> discovering that after the servers brought out my rendition of the
> 14th-century English Saumon Gentil, one young lady, a talented

Did you _really_ think you could get away with this? I'm planning on
making this at some feast, and I'm not quite happy with my results. My
main questions are:

1. How do you handle the saffron (it's obviously not a scribal
error...). Grind it with the spices, or dissolve it in small amount
water and add that?

2. What effect did you go for with the spicing? Spicy, or just adding a
hint to the fish?

3. Did you have slav^Wassistants with mortars, or did you grind it some
other way? I'm thinking about using a regular meat grinder (limited
slave labour, and app. 50-60 guests).

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
What was it they were saying about arnold in conan the barbarian.
Oh yes, the lead actor's bust was 42" compared with the lead actress's
36".		-- Fan Li Tai