Saumon Gentil (was: SC - Re: SC- Turkish Food)

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Wed Jan 10 06:15:47 PST 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> I seem to recall infusing the saffron in a small amount of water, maybe
> 1/4 cup, then grinding the moist threads with the fish.

What I have done as well. Any other method I have tried gives it some
sort of "spotty jaudice" look.

> > 2. What effect did you go for with the spicing? Spicy, or just adding a
> > hint to the fish?
>
> Somewhere in between modern delicate and spicy. Warming... I would say
> most of what came through was the cumin garnish.

My experience as well, unless I overspiced it.

> I used a food processor... :  (. I normally will try a dish doing it as
> close to the instructions specify as possible, then adapt it for larger
> quantities, industrial equipment, etc. Originally, when working with
> just one fillet, I minced the fish with a knife and then used a mortar.

First time I did it was in a camp, using two knives (only a small
mortar, and 6 hungry people). A mortar came out slightly more
homogenous, but not much.

> straightforward, and that nobody ever intended the bones to be ground,
> or any such nonsense. Fillet the fish, grind the _meat_, season it,
> extrude it, poach, drain, plate, garnish, serve. It's a salmon dish, and

Naturally. IIRC I left some of the finest bones, but that was
expidiency, not design.

> 4. You might think about using a sausage stuffing tube instead of a
> horn, if it comes as an attachment to your grinder. I think we used
> disposable pastry bags with large tubes.

Every time I have made it I used either a pastry bag or a simple plastic
bag with one of the corners cut off. I would think that if I use the
sausage tube of the grinder that I would have to drop the pieces on a
plate, and then into the pot. Do you think that would work? Have you
tried using the actual horn? For anything?

> Adamantius (hey, lookit, we're talking about medieval food!)

Damn. Quick, someone change the topic! What did they eat for breakfast
in the late to mid 14th century? (Damn, still medieval food. Anyone?)

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
MUAHAHAHAH!