period crab recipes (was SC - Chinese Crab - Charibdys japonica)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jan 12 00:45:45 PST 2001

Olwen asked:
> >I suspect you are thinking of one of those legendary? New England crab
> >feasts, but many Medieval folk did enjoy crab at their feasts. I've
> >got a couple of cans of crab meat that I'm waiting to use in a period
> >crab recipe sometime.
>
> >THLord  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
>
> Lord Stefan, just curious here, do you have a seasoning down your way called
> Old Bay seasoning?  It's what most folks use for crabs up here in MD.  (I
> don't-it covers the delecate flavor too much for me).

Yes, I believe I've seen it in the grocery stores. But I don't think I've
seen crabs except in cans, so I haven't tried it. Thanks for the comment.
Maybe I'll try this on shrimp sometime, especially if we get back down
to the coast. My family used to like to buy the shrimp off the boats
or in the seafood markets and boil it up for dinner. I guess you can
still do this, but much of the shrimp now seems to be farmed. Also, when
my family did this we were in the travel trailer. My wife and I usually
stay in motels, which are not as conducive to boiling and peeling your own
shrimp. That and the fact that my wife won't eat seafood. :-(

We're about four or five hours from the ocean, here in Austin, I believe.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net