SC - Peers -OT

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat Jan 13 07:36:09 PST 2001

Gwendolen,
	I think there are as many viewpoints on this as there are Peers.  It
depends on the Peer, the custom of the area and the Kingdom, and on the
individual in question.
	I was neither protege nor apprentice, and in the fullness of time, have
become both a Pelican and a Laurel.  I have proteges that have approached
me, and those that I have asked (out of the clear blue, to judge the
reaction on a couple of their faces!).  I do not have any apprentices as
of yet, (my Laurel was new this past year), and am trying to figure out
how to deal with the inevitable "Apprenteges".  (I figure, they are
probably doing artistic things in a very organized fashion, just like me.
 So, how do I differentiate?) Even with the most approachable peer, I
would say that starting the conversation in general terms, such as "So,
how did you become a peer?" and "What do you look for in associates?" is
a good idea, once, as Margali pointed out, you have determined that you
want to get to know this person better, and feel like you could spend
large chunks of time with.  With new Peers, you may find that they are
trying to figure out the whole associate relationship thing for
themselves, and don't have a good answer for you.
	This could get to be long and completely off-topic, and I would be glad
to discuss it with you off-list. I'm sure you'll get other responses
though, and I would venture to guess it is in some FAQ on the Rialto or
in the Florilegium.
Good luck in your quest,
Mistress Christianna MacGrain, Meridies