SC - New Laurel on our List!!!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 15 19:36:58 PST 2001

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> What's a "Four Worthies" ceremony? I don't believe I've ever heard of
> one....
> Maire, a long, long way from Atlantia

The Four Worthies are four peers, traditionally from the Orders of
Chivalry, Pelican, Laurel, and Rose, called upon to testify that in the
eyes of the respective Orders, the candidate is accepted as a Peer by
these Orders. Usually five peers speak, the first of whom is some kind
of patron peer, to whom the candidate is apprenticed, squired, whatever,
then the candidate may or may not be sent on a vigil, and then before
the actual ceremony, which in the case of  a Laurel includes the Crown
placing various insignia of the Order, such as a wreath, a medallion, a
cloak, or some combination thereof, the Four Worthies are asked to speak
for the peerage Orders.

This weekend, I was actually one of six worthies. In addition to having
someone from the Rose, the Pelican, and the Chivalry, the Crown granted
our special request to have three laurels speak on a different aspect of
the candidate's achievement.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy