SC - non-member submission - Re: digby's fruitcake

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 16 08:48:49 PST 2001

"Michael F. Gunter" wrote:

> Did I miss the recipe and/or reference information
> on this recipe, or are the spoon teasers having a
> convention :o)
>
> niccolo difrancesco

No, you didn't miss it, it's just that we've discussed it pretty
extensively, and pretty recently, on this list, and there was just a big
article about it in "Serve It Forth". Here it is again.

> ANOTHER VERY GOOD CAKE
>
> Take four quarts of fine flower, two pound and half of butter, three quarters of a pound of Sugar,
four Nutmegs; a little Mace; a pound of Almonds finely beaten, half a
pint of Sack, a pint of good
Ale-yest, a pint of boiled Cream, twelve yolks, and four whites of Eggs;
four pound of Currants. When
you have wrought all these into a very fine past, let it be kept warm
before the fire half an hour,
before you set it into the oven. If you please, you may put into it, two
pound of Raisins of the Sun
stoned and quartered. Let your oven be of a temperate heat, and let your
Cake stand therein two
hours and a half, before you Ice it; and afterwards only to harden the
Ice. The Ice for this Cake is
made thus: Take the whites of three new laid Eggs, and three quarters of
a pound of fine Sugar finely
beaten; beat it well together with the whites of the Eggs, and ice the
Cake. If you please you may add
a little Musk or Ambergreece.
> The Closet of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelm Digby,
> Knight, Opened, etc., London, 1669

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy