SC - Event Notice-al-hafla

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jan 16 20:20:22 PST 2001

26 and 27 January, 2001
al-hafla!
The Wedding Celebration!

I am pleased to announce that the Shire of Nithgarrd is the sponsor for this
event. I am also pleased to say that this is becoming an event with many
traveling from the farthest reaches of the Known Worlde!

137 Feast and 44 Offboard Reservation openings remain as of this date. (Jan.
15)

- --

The year is 1201 (CE). Peace has begun to settle on the land, and life
returns to normal. Well, as normal as it can be with romance and marriage
running riot. This year, the theme is romance and marriage: all the customs
surrounding the most significant cultural rite, including poetry, garb, food,
dance, and, of course, the legal ramifications! Please consider this an
opportunity to show off your wedding wealth, make proposals, arrange for the
marriage of your children, tell stories of famous (and infamous) romances!

The evening before the event (26 January), the hall will be open for guests
arriving early to socialize at a henna party, and assist in the set-up of the
site if they so desire.

- --

Salaam alikuum!

What is this event about?

Good question. Let me explain... al-hafla is Arabic for "The Party," a
festive occasion, a social gathering... Now the Shire of Nithgarrd is hosting
the third Known Worlde hafla for the populus.

This event is a continuation of the Orluk Oasis evening haflas at Pennsic
War, as well as the daily mulin (the place to go ask questions.) It follows
the two basic rules of hospitality:

The host will provide food and comforts for the guests
The guests will be entertaining (sharing knowledge counts as entertaining!)
Please bring cushions and carpets for seating and decorations for the hall.

- --

Menu
I am exceedingly pleased to announce that Genevieve from Roxbury Mil, the
famous cook of Feria de Verano and Ras, whose fame preceeds him as well, will
be the Cooks for this event! Ethni By-the-Water will supervise the work of
the kitchen. A suitable mix of meat and meatless dishes will be served.

There will be a meze table during the day. This is appetizers and snacks of
middle-eastern origin to tide you over till the feast (and for snacking after
the feast.)

Meze table

Meze
cheese & spinach pies
meat pies
radish & orange salat
labna balls & dips (pepper, duhkah)
stuffed eggs
melon & orange & dates
basarah (fava beans, olive oil, cilantro, pepper)
zarabara  (cheese, onions)
red lentil soup
meklah (various pickles)
carrot puree
khubz bread

Bring cushions, as the feast will be served at floor level (in one course.)

 This year, 12 of the trays manufactured for the event wi be raffled off at
the event. All feast tickets automatically receive one entry, and others may
be purchased for $1. Proceeds from the raffle will go to the kingdom
newsletter, the AEstel.

Feast

salat  (spinach, beets, oranges, walnuts, sekanjabin)
sharaz ((dry curds) w/vegetables )
nivik (chickpeas, spinach)
thumiyya  (chicken w/garlic)
various couscos
goat shiwa
eggplant w/ walnuts
marinated cucumbers
lentils
fish curry on roz
khubz breads
taffy (candy w/pepper)
basbousa  (semolina cake)
judges mouthfuls
almonds & apricots & dates & figs

Copious ghalwa (coffee), chay (teas), and sakanjabin (sweet chilled teas) to
slake your thirst.

Troupes who wish to perform will have opportunity to display their talents
during feast. A coordinator will be designated.

- --

Classes and Teachers
Those with knowledge, and those with questions of things Arabic, Andalusian,
and Middle-Eastern will find each other in the mulin (symposia and
discussions) at al-hafla. Facilitators for these groups should contact the
Host with a description of the material offered. (Information will be made
available as it is collected.) Throughout the day, there will be:  Topic
Mulin (Person to ask questions of...)
Sulliman classical Arabic darbuka playing (technique, rhythm, and accents)
Ghazallah Palestinian costume construction, design, and embroidery
Zahira Arabic darbuka playing (technique, rhythm, and accents)
Ghazallah and Zimra Henna and tattooing

It was a custom of the pious to endow schools and libraries
Bring your books and documents to share in a library at the event.
Comemerative book-plates will be available to mark your texts. There will be
a copier for the event so you can collect that much needed documentation.
Separate Childrens-activities are not planned, as most of the activities can
be of interest across the span of ages.

- --

Merchants
Merchants are permitted. However, space limitations will require that
preference be juried according to (1) reservations and (2) wares. Please
contact the Host for arrangements.
The AEstel is holding a silent auction to raise much needed funds. Donations
to the cause are highly recommended!

- --

Directions, Accomodations and Crash Space
Directions
Take your best routes to any of the major cities or routes given below.
>From I-80: * Exit 24 to PA 26 South. PA 26 South to PA 550 South.
**PA 550 South for 1/2 mile, through two traffic lights, and turn left at
second left, Blanchard Street. Go to stop-sign. Past that, turn onto the
second street on right, Forge Road. Turn right into the parking lot.
>From Harrisburg: US 322 West to PA 26 North (use the US 322 bypass when you
get to State College.)
*** PA 26 North to PA 550 South. Follow ** above.
>From Bedford PA: **** I-99 North to US 322 East. US 322 East to PA 26 North.
Follow from *** above
>From Pittsburgh: US 22 East to I-99 North. Follow from **** above.
>From Buffalo/Fort Erie: I-90 South to US 219 South. US 219 South (get gas in
Antonio's in Salamanca!) to PA 255 South (in Johnsonburg). PA 255 South to PA
153 East (in Pennfield). PA 153 East to I-80 East. I-80 East to Exit 24, and
follow from * above.
Accomodations
The following are within 5 miles of the site:
Bush House 315 W. High St Bellefonte PA 16823. 11 rooms, with (German)
resturaunt and bar. $45 plus tax per room, up to three adults occupancy ($5
for each addtional adult.) This is a special rate (mention "Edward" or "Al
Hafla" to get the rate 814-355-8400
Colony Motor Lodge 476 Benner Pike Bellefonte PA 16823. Motel with block of
40 rooms being held under the party name of "Al Hafla" for $35 plus tax.
Rooms with king-size are $40. They wil begin accepting reservations after Nov
18. 814-355-5561 ask for Connie (fax 814-355-0330)
Holiday Inn, Milesburg I-80 (Exit 23) at US 220. Reserve through your local
Holiday Inn. (Trying to get a party rate)
Bestway I-80 (Exit 23) at US 220. 814-355-7535(Trying to get a party rate)
Bread and Breakfasts in the area:
Reynods Mansion
General B and B in the region
Local B and B infomation
More regional B and B info
There are numerous motels and hotels in State College, a mere 15 miles away.
Crash Space
This will be at a premium. Please contact Lord Ambrosius, who is pleased to
help you with this.

- --

Official Stuff:
Official Name: al-hafla (The Wedding Celebration) sponsored by Shire of
Nithgarrd, Kingdom of AEthelmearc.
Location: Lambert Hall, corner of Blanchard Street and Forge Road, Bellefonte
PA 16823
The site is ADA compliant (handicap accessable)
The site is Smoke-Free (a smoking area will be designated)
Tolls: (Note that a limit of 200 seats for the feast will limit the number of
seats sold at the door!) As there is a meze table, there will not be an
out-board rate.
(Refund Policy: Reservations cancelled prior to 14 January, 2001 will be
refunded.) Postmarked after 14 January, 2001 and at the door:
Adult Feast - $20 USD
Adult Offboard (includes meze table) - $12 USD
Youth, on- and off-board (Ages 10 to 17) - $10 USD
Children and babes are free.
(Family maximum is $50)

Fees Made payable to "SCA Inc. - Shire of Nithgarrd", and sent to
Vizziir of the Treasury - Baron Dur/durr al-jabal
165 Fishburn Hill Rd
Bellefonte PA 16823

Host (Autocrat):  Baron Dur/durr al-jabal
aka D. Edward Walter
165 Fishburn Hill Rd
Bellfonte PA 16823

Date and Start-Stop times: 27 January, 2001. Event site to open at 10 A.M.,
and close at 11 P.M. The site will be open for socialization (a henna party)
on the evening of 26 January for those who arrive early. Site setup will be
in progress at that time.

Ras