SC - period lime use, rosaries

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jan 17 23:49:59 PST 2001

Cariadoc replied to my question with:
> > Did you find any evidence of use of limes in period? Where and when?
>
> Our summary of the history of citrus in the Miscellany says:
>
> By the 13th  century lemon, sour orange, citron, and what is probably
> lime are described from northern Italy.
>
> The source for that is:
>
> Batchelor, Leon D. and Webber, Herbert John, The Citrus Industry, 1946.
>
> But I can't swear to their exact words. I might be able to dig up our
> photocopy of the chapter if you want their source.

Thank you! This is much earlier and much further into Europe than I
would have expected. If it's not too much trouble, yes I'd like to
see their sources. I always like to have sources when I can get them.

Maybe I've just missed the referances, but where are the recipes to
show lime use? There seem to be a lot more lemon and orange referances.
Particularly for something purported to be used that early. That's
well into the medieval period and four hundred years into the SCA
period.

Is the lime harder to grow than lemon? Or perhaps the region it grows
in is more restricted? Lines are usually a bit smaller than lemons.
I think that is true in period also but it doesn't seem like that
alone would make such a disparity in number of mentions between the
two.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net