SC - pickled mushrooms

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 18 00:10:12 PST 2001

Eleanor d'Aubrecicourt asked:
> Are pickled mushrooms period?

Yes. The following is from the pickled-foods-msg file in the FOOD section
of my Florilegium:
pickled-food-msg  (97K) 11/ 9/00    Medieval pickled food. recipes.

> Hi all from Anne-Marie

> the late sources (Dibgy, May, etc) pickle anything that doesnt move (and
> likely a few things that do). We have recipes for pickled mushrooms and
> capers and cukes (Apicius even does cukes in vinegar, several different
> ways). the other stuff is a peri-oide way to get color and crunch and
> flavor to the buffet table.

There are also some period pickled mushroom recipes in this file in the
FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
mushrooms-msg    (100K)  1/ 8/01    Period mushrooms. Recipes.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net