SC - Re: First feasts

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jan 19 07:09:54 PST 2001

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Now _there's an interesting potential topic....so, everyone, what did
> y'all do for _your_ first feast?

My first real feast was something like 14 years ago and it was my
barony's 10 annual Championship tournament. It rained, a lot.
Luckily we had a nice feast hall that had a real kitchen! Well, a regular
refrigerator and home stove. I did a lot of cooking ahead of time and
so had tons of food in boil-in bags. Basically I just heated a lot of
it up and served it forth.

The menu, if I can recall it now, was:

First course: homemade apple butter rolls (like a jelly roll but using
apple butter for a different taste). I figured a nice sweet would blunt
the appetite.

Scrambled eggs with spinach, bacon, mushrooms and cheese.
Beef stew covered in pastry.
Fettucini in a white cream sauce
Rice cooked in chicken broth served under the stew
Roasted chicken leg and thigh quarters.
I think I did a greens dish.

Yellow cake in three layers with vanilla pudding between
the layers and topped with whipped cream.

I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple of things but I'm old so forgive
me.

I know it wasn't what you would call period but we tried. Even substituting
parboiled turnips instead of potatoes in the stew. Not bad for a first effort
in a kingdom where very few people knew about period cooking at the time.
I fed around 200 people that night.

Yers,

Gunthar