SC - SCA funds for alcohol.

sca-cooks-l sca-cooks-l at drakkar.org
Sun Jan 21 13:24:18 PST 2001

dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca wrote in a message to All:

 df> From: "micaylah" <dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca>
 df> Subject: Re: SC - SCA funds for alcohol.
 df> Reply-To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org

> likewise, since the end product was alcohol, the answer was no.  The
 df> use of
> alcohol in cooking however generally removes the alcohol and so the
 df> end
> product is non alcoholic.

 df> Unfortunately this is patenly untrue and a myth perpetuated
 df> by...what? I surely dont know. Cooking at high temps for a really
 df> long time will certainly eradicate most alcohol but not much gets
 df> cooked at these temperature's and duration to achieve this. You
 df> might want to check (I believe theres a chart somewhere out in
 df> cyberland) exactly how much alcohol indeed remains after
 df> cooking/baking.

 df> Please, be very very careful about telling someone that there is no
 df> alcohol in something based on the fact that it has been cooked.

While that might be the case but the primary concern for an SCA cook is to make
sure that they don't run afoul of our own rules. We can't server alcohol. The
group can't own alcohol to serve. The group isn't allowed to manufacture
alcohol. The group is allowed to incorporate alcohol into a food item where the
alcohol is a normal side ingredient.

The above is a paraphrase of the society alcohol policy and should be enough to
assist the cooks in not running afoul of the rules.

Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
Deputy East Kingdom Exchequer
haraldr at drakkar.org

Dave Calafrancesco, Team OS/2
dave at drakkar.org

... They got the library at Alexandria, they're not getting mine!
- --