First feasts was Re: SC - Diet Blues

Marcus Antaya mjantaya at home.com
Sun Jan 21 14:11:39 PST 2001

Well, Lords and Ladies...I don't have to stretch that far back to recount
the tail of my first feastocrat duties...it was LAST NIGHT!!!

And it was a smashing success...It wasn't exactly period, but then that
wasn't what I was going for. I'm so tired of period nazi feasts, where
everything is redacted from 5 centuries ago, and with it nothing edible or
to the taste of modern palates.

It was a feast of about 100, I did Beef and Barlet stew in a large bread
bowl per table, hams with a spice rub, creamed turnips, garlic mashed
potatoes, and ginger honey candy.  The second remove was split pea soup with
ham, dill pickle rouladin, with maple glazed carrots and vegetarian risotto.
For my second confection, I did 12th night cakes, the recipie which I found
in my baronial newsletter.

Now, of that, only the pea soup, the candy and the cakes were period
recipies...and I had never even tried to make the candy or cakes before that
day.  All the rest were either my own creations, or the family recipies that
I grew up with.

Never have I seen such a reaction to feast...a standing ovation from the
entire populace present, including all peers...some of which Laurels in
cooking.

I was blown away, and am still riding a bit of a high off it...grin.

I also want to say that I burnt the pes soup so badly, we had to start
again...almost burnt the risotto, and all the cakes blew the filling out the
sides so that they were very flat...yet all worked in the end due to
experienced friends in the kitchen.

All in all, a good day, if not tiring. Oh, and being the pursuivant and
having to take an hour out to do court didn't help my blood pressure
any...sigh.

Anyhoo, all were sharing their recollections, so I thought I'd do the
same....

Gyric