SC - butter and garlic

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jan 21 18:16:43 PST 2001

Gyric said:
> Up here in the great white north, anyways, we do hony butter and we do
> herbed butter and all kinds of butter, yet never garlic.

Where is "Up here in the great white north"?

> I wanted to try something new (for the kingdom, anyways)...so I roasted a
> couple-three bulbs of garlic, mashed them and mised then into the butter
> with some garlic salt and parsley flakes.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have any evidence for roasted garlic use
in period. I'd love to see some, as I like roasted garlic.

> Serious hapiness ensued. I highly suggest it. It might not be period (?) but
> it certainly is a crowd pleaser...grin

If you would like to see what evidence this list has come up with and
gone over for various butters and garlic dishes, check these files in
my Florilegium. While you are there, you might find some of the files
in the various food sections to be of interest. Most of the period
recipes given on this list eventually end up there. There are a number
of recipes I've cooked from these redactions and most have been quite
good. As another has mentioned, if you are consistantly getting bad
food from period recipes, it is most likely a bad interpretation of
those recipes or a bad cook.

Anyway, in the FOOD section:
butter-msg        (97K) 11/10/00    Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.

In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
garlic-msg        (43K)  1/12/01    Medieval use of garlic. Garlic storage.

How much butter did you use with your three bulbs of garlic? I wouldn't
think that only three bulbs would go far. But then I LIKE garlic.

Congratulations on your first feast. If you stick around on this list
I think you can learn a lot of useful information on both period and
modern cooking. I certainly have.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net