SC - My First Feast

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Mon Jan 22 17:21:18 PST 2001

For the record, my first SCA feast was QUITE post Middle Ages.  I made
Seafood Gumbo.  Tomatoes AND corn.  But I had no idea there were surviving
medieval recipes.  My hope, at the time was simply a warm, nourishing recipe,
easy to cook over a campfire.  (I have since learned that not everyone thinks
a roux is easy over a fire.  _I_ thought it was.)
I remember arguing with Ras and Adamantius and His Grace Duke Sir Cariadoc of
the Bow about period vs. non period cooking.
They've definitely converted me.
I have found few cooks in Aten who even attempt to cook medieval feasts, so I
cannot report on how easy it is for other people to cook a tasty medieval
recipe. However, I can tell you that I have yet to adapt a medieval recipe
that turned out inedible.  Most are so delectable that I have problems
cooking enough for leftovers.

Mordonna The Cook
Atenveldt