SC - period feasts

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Tue Jan 23 01:03:34 PST 2001

- --part1_fc.1572085.279ea2e6_boundary

> Ok, I also concede I'm letting my prejudice run away with me.=A0 I hacked=20=
on
> the period thing, because I'm not a good enough cook yet to be able to pul=
> off the stuff I'm not intimately familiar with, ie redacted recipies, but=20=
> was asked from any number of people if my feast was documentable, and it w=
as
> really starting to get irritating.=A0=20
>=20

Allow me to make a small observation on your statement.

You seem to be operating from an assumption that a dish can only be period i=
f=20
you yourself have redacted it from the original recipe. (and this can=20
certainly be fun)

You might want to try a slower and gentler approach.=A0 Get some of the book=
s=20
out there like "Take a Thousand Eggs or More, Vol. 1" and shuffle through th=
e=20
redacted recipes to find some that seem somewhat familiar.=A0 Then realize t=
hat=20
most "period" recipes don't give quantities, esp in the spice area.=A0 Make=20
your first attempts at period food by experimenting with the redacted recipe=
s=20
until you find something which you and/or your friends like to eat.=A0 Befor=
e=20
you know it you will be making period recipes and even entire meals which=20
taste good.

Personally, I think one of the reasons why the period recipes don't often=20
give amounts is that the cooks of the time were putting together groups of=20
ingredients that work well together and then saying "experiment with this=20
until you make something you like to eat". ;)

If you start out in this way it won't be long before your own curiosity and=20
experience leads you to the original recipes and you will be surprised at ho=
w=20
familiar and easy they seem.

Constance de la Rose

- --part1_fc.1572085.279ea2e6_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  COLOR=3D"#0000ff" SIZE=3D2><B>
<BR>> Ok, I also concede I'm letting my prejudice run away with me.=A0 I=20=
hacked on
<BR>> the period thing, because I'm not a good enough cook yet to be able=
 to pull
<BR>> off the stuff I'm not intimately familiar with, ie redacted recipie=
s, but I
<BR>> was asked from any number of people if my feast was documentable, a=
nd it was
<BR>> really starting to get irritating.=A0=20
<BR>>=20
<BR>
<BR>Allow me to make a small observation on your statement.
<BR>
<BR>You seem to be operating from an assumption that a dish can only be peri=
od if=20
<BR>you yourself have redacted it from the original recipe. (and this can=20
<BR>certainly be fun)
<BR>
<BR>You might want to try a slower and gentler approach.=A0 Get some of the=20=
books=20
<BR>out there like "Take a Thousand Eggs or More, Vol. 1" and shuffle throug=
h the=20
<BR>redacted recipes to find some that seem somewhat familiar.=A0 Then reali=
ze that=20
<BR>most "period" recipes don't give quantities, esp in the spice area.=A0 M=
ake=20
<BR>your first attempts at period food by experimenting with the redacted re=
cipes=20
<BR>until you find something which you and/or your friends like to eat.=A0 B=
efore=20
<BR>you know it you will be making period recipes and even entire meals whic=
h=20
<BR>taste good.
<BR>
<BR>Personally, I think one of the reasons why the period recipes don't ofte=
n=20
<BR>give amounts is that the cooks of the time were putting together groups=20=
of=20
<BR>ingredients that work well together and then saying "experiment with thi=
s=20
<BR>until you make something you like to eat". ;)
<BR>
<BR>If you start out in this way it won't be long before your own curiosity=20=
and=20
<BR>experience leads you to the original recipes and you will be surprised a=
t how=20
<BR>familiar and easy they seem.
<BR>
<BR>Constance de la Rose
<BR>
<BR></B></FONT></HTML>

- --part1_fc.1572085.279ea2e6_boundary--