SC - Rouladen

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 22 19:34:23 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 22 Jan 01, , that david friedman wrote:

> At 7:42 AM -0500 1/22/01, Ian Gourdon wrote:
> >Una Olla Porrida
> >    (meat roasted and served on a vegetable base) rabbit, sausage,
> >    harlic, onions, chestnuts, kidney beans, chickpeasm blackbeans,
> >    cabbage, turnips, salt, pepper, cinnamon
[snip]
> Are you saying that this was a meal an early sixteenth century
> Spanish sailor could have eaten--presumably with the New World
> ingredients being used in dishes we actually know were made in the
> New World in the 16th century? I didn't think our information on
> South American dishes was that good.

The Olla Podrida above looks like a simplified version of the recipe
from Granado, a translation of which is in the Florilegium.  The
original recipe has a lot more meats in it, including calf's kidneys,
hog's ears and snout, quail, thrushes, pigeons, and a bunch of wild-
fowl.  I don't know about the other dishes with New World
ingredients.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann