SC - Long overdue THANKS ! (long)

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 11:37:23 PST 2001

   This post is LONG overdue.  Back in the fall, I inquired about
mustards. I was thinking about entering my first A&S
competition/display, and mustard seemed like an easy thing to make.  I
gathered lots of information from the list, and Lady Brighid (big
thanks) was kind enough to send me a copy of the original text for a
Spanish-style mustard that she had translated. I made both that and the
red mustard form Platina based on Niccolo's redaction (more big
thanks).  And a big thanks to all those on the list who posted about
mustards, including Stefan, since I made good use of the Florilegium.
   Not knowing exactly what goes into documentation, I wrote up a
couple of pages listing the original text, the translations, Niccolo's
redaction and my attempts at redacting.  The working title was "Two
Mustards Made With Bread." It looked good, but I had no clue if it was
done "right."
I've posted it at
http://www.geocities.com/christina_elisabeth/mustard.html
  I got everything together; paper, mustards, sausage, crackers, etc.
and set out on my adventure. (Really - this was the very first event I
had gone to without my lord, and the first where I did something
besides archery).  Road construction was slow, but the area was
familiar, so the detour wasn't a problem.  I did make a wrong turn in
downtown, but it dumped me out right across the streeet from the site!
 I had made allowances for SCA time <s> but was still very early.  I
set up my display (all alone on an 8ft table), and wandered around
looking for something to do.  I helped out a tiny bit in the kitchen,
but there wasn't much I could do. Lunch was a pot-luck, so it was
pretty much just storing and setting out.  There were lots of other
displays to look at, but only one other food entry.  Frankly, after 3
hours I was bored almost to tears.  There were a few other people there
that I knew, and I shamelessly admit that I clung to them like a
drowning woman going under for the third time. I wanted to go home, and
wondered why in the #%&$ I had bothered to come in the first place.
  The judging was in three parts.  A group of Laurels were judging for
the best artisan who had not yet received a kingdom level award, and
for the best artisan with three or more non-related entries; everybody
who was there got to cast a vote for their choice of best
artisan/display. Much to my surprise, I was called up to receive an
award for my mustards.  The judging for food and drink had been
considered separately from the other arts.  I am now the proud owner of
a very nice copper mixing bowl.  I think, though, I'm prouder that at
least two of the judges wrote down or asked for a copy of my redactions
for the mustards.
  Thanks again to all those who helped me with my first project,
whether they knew it or not.  I MIGHT try again next year, now that I
have some idea what I'm doing.  With all of you to help, even if the
judges don't like my entry, I know I will.

Christina Elisabeth de la Griffon Riant