SC - Honey (& other) butters

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 26 15:16:36 PST 2001

>This begs the question, what is cider sauce??
>
>Gyric

> >  I must, though, tell you of a tasty new creation.
> >  I made the Cider Sauce ....  Since it WAS so thick, and so hard to
>spoon
> > out without spinning little sticky threads everywhere, why not blend it
> > with butter ? > Christina Elisabeth de la Griffon Riant

Gee, Gyric, you really did just join up.  Between Thanksgiving and
Christmas, someone (Brighid, I think, who is translating a Spanish
manuscript) posted a really yummy sauce made of apples, vinegar, spices, and
sugar.
Sauces are an easy way to make your menue 'period' because the cooking of
the meat is kept to simple roasting, and the sauces can often be made in
advance.   It was a really easy sauce, made from ingredients anyone would
have on hand, so many of us experimented with it and posted results.   I
can't locate my copy of it, but I'm sure someone will re-post it, or that
Stefan has it.

You do know about Stefan's Florilegium, right?  He's on this list, as well
as other SCA lists, and collects interesting and useful posts into a
searchable archive.  The files on food and feasts are very handy for new
cooks/those without easy access to printed resources.  www.florilegium.org

His Grace Cariadoc has published a printed collection of manuscripts and
references, and a version of it is on-line, as well as info. on how to buy
the latest paper version.    Hmmmm, somebody's done something to the
bookmarks and I don't have this one memorized.  nevermind, search on
Cariadoc's Miscellany, and it will come up.  www.sca.org has a link to it
also.