SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2924

Sat Jan 27 06:52:04 PST 2001

> However, I remember barley bread being indicated multiple times
> by multiple sources that I consider reliable with regard to the Vikings.

Rye was and is the most common grain grown in the extreme northern climates.
To talk about barley and wheat and ignore rye is, in my opinion, a serious
omission.  Please note that I did not say they did not make barley bread,
just that rye was the common grain.

BTW, barley was the common grain of 6th and 7th Century Ireland.

> Hm. Hildegarde of Bingen (1098-1179) wrote in her _Physica_ (1151-1158)
> of hops 'its bitterness inhibits some spoilage in beverages to which it
> is added, making them last longer', and later mentions a recipe 'if you
> want to prepare beer from oats, without hops...' (this is from the
> translation by Priscilla Throop). So unless the translator or intervening
> sources have altered the text, one presumes that hopped beer was known in
> Germany by 1160.
>
> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise

As I said, 12th Century, not "Viking," as the Viking period commonly is
considered to close with the Battle of Clontarf in 1014 or with the Norse
and Norman invasions of England in 1066.

The fact that the Germans were hopping beer a century later does not tie the
practice to the Vikings.  Other than their statement, what evidence is
presented that the "Vikings" (basically 9th to 11th Century Scandinavians,
not Germans) did indeed hop beer?

The question I am asking is what sources are being referenced to support the
statements being made?

Bear