SC - coronation menu?

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sat Jan 27 12:51:37 PST 2001

On 1/26/01 12:09 PM sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:

>From:  cindy at thousandeggs.com (Cindy M. Renfrow)
>Sender:    owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
>To:    sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
>Hi!  Does anyone have a copy of the coronation feast menu of Elizabeth I,
>and/or a source for a description of the whole party?  My kid has a history
>project due next week, & I can't find the info.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Cindy
This has turned into a list of where not to bother looking, oh well.

I don't have much Elizabethan.  Dining with Wm Shkspr turned up nothing.
Except a citation for a possible source, that you probably won't be able
to find by next week, but...

    Nichols, John B. _The Progresses and Public Processions of Queen
Elizabeth_ 3 vol.s, 1823.

There doesn't seem to be anything in To the Queen's Taste; the menus
section in 1000 eggs is mostly for 15thC, as of course Cindy knows!;
there don't appear to be menus in Fab Feasts or Fast and Feast (Henisch);
Cariadoc's Miscellany doesn't appear to include menus that late...

The one thing I -thought- I'd found, turns out, apparently, to be a
fiction.  The first entry in v.2 of the Horizon Cookbook gives a menu for
a stop at Sir Roger North's on a summer progress in 1578.  But when I
traced back the menus to the latter part of the book, they were from all
over.

It will be interesting to see what turns up, eventually.
Chimene