SC - LaVarenne and the Raspberry Turkey

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Sat Jan 27 13:51:45 PST 2001

Sounds like a good title for a novel, doesn't it?

At any rate, I found the Falconwood Press edition that I have.  It was
translated into English sometime around 1653 by "I.D.G", and printed for
"Charls Adams, and are to be sold at his shop, at the Sign of the Talbot
neere St. Dunstan's Church in Fleetstreet, 1653.  There is a letter at
the beginning of the book from a DuFresne to the Right Honourable John
Ealy of Tannet, commending a French chef to the service of this lord.  I
cannot tell if this letter is about LaVarenne or some other cook, as
there is another reference to LaVarenne as  Clerk of the Kitchen to the
Lord Marquesse of Uxelles.

At any rate, having given you that information, which may or may not be
useful, here is I.D.G's translation of the requested turkey recipe:

1.  Turkie with Raspis
    When it is dressed, take up the brisket, and take out the flesh,
which you shall mince with suet and some little of Veal-flesh, which you
shall mix together with yolks
of  Eggs & young Pigeons, & all being well seasoned, you shall fill your
Turkie with it, and shall season it with Salt, Peper, beaten Cloves and
Capers, then you shall spit it, and turn it very softly; When it is
almost rosted, take it up, and put it into an Earthen pan with good
Broath, Mushrums, and a bundle of Herbs, which you shall make with
Parsley, thime and Chibols tied together; for to thicken the sauce, take
a little Lard sliced, pass it in the pan, and when it is melted, take it
out, and mix a little flower with it, which you shall make very brown,
and shall allay it with a little Broath and some Vinegar; then put it
into your Earthen pan with some Lemon juice and serve.
    If it be in the Raspis season, you shall put a handful of them over
it, if not, some Pomgranate.

Hope this helps.  For those of you who have asked for a copy of the
book, Phillip is going to see what he can do.  I'll keep you posted.

Kiri