SC - A&S entry (long)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 30 13:56:55 PST 2001

Vicente regaled us with his wonderful successful competition and
tormented us with his delectable recipes. And i extend my
congratulations to him for honor!

In the course of this, he wrote:
>This is a lengthy recipe, but not all that complex.  I reduced the
>proportions by fourths:
>4 oz almonds
>4 oz hazelnuts
>4 oz pine nuts
>2 oz raisins
>¾ oz dates

Ah, hah! The "odd character" phenomenon returns. I don't know what
*you* see, but i'm seeing some non-alphanumeric characters here...

How much is "less than or equal to" oz date?

>1 apple
>3 eggs
>After blanching and toasting the nuts, I ground them to a coarse
>meal in an electric food grinder.  The fruits were cooked in salted
>water, then forced through a china cap with a pestle.  I mixed the
>nuts with the pureed fruits and eggs then poured the mixture into a
>torte pan lined with the pâte a pâte recipe from "The Medieval
>Kitchen". For effect, I made a fretwork of dough strips on the
>bottom of the pan.  I baked the torte at 350 degrees for ten
>minutes, then scattered ¼ oz cinnamon mixed with ½ oz sugar over the
>top and continued with the baking until the filling was set.  As
>directed, I inverted the torte onto a plate.

How much is "lower case pi" oz cinnamon?
How much is "upper case pi" oz sugar?

Please - i mentioned this recently. I'm not on a PC and i'm sure i'm
not the only one who often sees odd characters instead of fractions -
please set your e-mail client to NOT replace those fractions written
in multiple characters with single characters that i and others
cannot read.

Pleased, very pleased with your success. Cranky about not being able
to read the recipe. Drool, drool.

Anahita al-curmudgeoniyya