SC - presses and question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 2 10:03:07 PST 2001

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> Question.  I know that the peach pits were documentable and I want to take
> this one step further.  I have made molds for a walnut and a almond.  (I am
> toying with the idea of making a clam or oyster as well.)  I plan to make
> the shells in sugar paste and fill the hollow with the real nut meat or a
> marzipan faux.  How in or out of the realm of possibility is it that
> something like this would be done in period?

Sir Hugh Plat's "Delightes for Ladies" [1609 C.E.?] contains a reference
to casting walnuts in a mold made from what amounts, chemically, to
Plaster of Paris, then filling the mold with sugar plate. I don't think
he specifically mentions putting nut meats inside, but I think he does
say you can put things inside the shells, such as little folded-up notes
(yes, the fortune cookie is period), small sweetmeats, etc.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com