SC - Lamb and Coffee Beans

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Tue Jan 2 11:53:42 PST 2001

One of my favorite marinades consists of equal parts of very strongly brewed
Arabica coffee, cooled, and concentrated Granny Smith apple juice (the
frozen concentrate, thawed). Throw in a peeled and sliced onion for good
measure, and some freshly ground pepper.

It is to die for with well-flavored meats (beef, lamb, game).

Completely modern of course. No crunchy bits to deal with, however. Very
good on the barbecue. It sort of caramelizes on the outside of the roast if
you baste in on while cooking. It also tenderizes, due to the fruit sugars
and the acid from the coffee.

Cheers

Aoife

Christianna wrotre:
I did a very small lamb roast the other night, and studded it with
organic coffee beans.  It did not have to roast for very long, as it was
a small roast, but the flavor of the beans did permeate the meat nicely,
making a subtle yet aromatic flavor.  We rubbed salt, pepper, and a small
amount of curry powder on the outside of the lamb, and the combination
was very nice.  The coffee beans were still quite crunchy, however, and I
wondered if it were cooked longer (like for a bigger piece of lamb),
would the beans get softer?  We picked them out, but a few were
disagreeably crunchy.  They gave the meat around them an interesting pink
tinge, too.
I satisfied my garlic and rosemary urges with lamb by making roasted
vegetables with fresh rosemary, and green beans with garlic and lemon
juice, which our roommate dubbed "Lazer Beans".  (He liked them.)
It was tasty, I would do it again.
Christianna