SC - 7-Layer Dip

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jan 3 06:33:56 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> > perhaps
> > the legal approach may be that the pub is not selling dip, just drinks.
>
> But if this dip were served to a private table, as many appetizers are,
> then this wouldn't be a problem, at least for the pub. Even on a buffet
> line I'd think it would be ok if a spoon were provided so the customer
> could spoon some onto their plate. Very like the medieval rule that your
> hands were supposed to be clean before grabbing something out of the
> communal pot.

That's true. I hadn't thought in terms of an "order" of dip for a small
group. What does a serving of 7-layer dip for one look like? However,
I'm sure you're right about that, in theory, although I can't quite
shake the suspicion that things in practice may be different.

Again, I should make it clear I'm not casting aspersions on the hygienic
practices of the cooks who produce such dishes, rather, simply their
practicality in a commercial setting. Is this dish sold, or just hanging
out by the bar? We have a local pub/restaurant that has a small hot
buffet by the bar; as far as I know, it is free. It doesn't have the
cute little sneeze shield or anything, it's just a small bain-marie
table, but I assume the food is hot, and the potential for problems
relatively low. On the other hand, if they aren't selling this food, but
giving it away to their clientele, this may be less of an issue. Which
is why I asked.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy