SC - Yule Food

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Jan 3 10:23:39 PST 2001

> Sounds interesting. Was this with dried mustard, mustard seeds
> (if so, yellow or brown?) or a prepared mustard? Does pounding
> the steak just make it thinner and easier to roll? Or is there
> more to it?

Pounding them makes them thin and easy to roll, yes. Place the steak
between two sheets of heavy plastic and pound with a mallet to the
thickness you want. I still wanted these to be steaks so they weren't
pounded too thin.

I made a stuffing of a good French stoneground mustard, breadcrumbs,
olive oil, garlic and some herbs I found lying around. Spread it on the
steaks and rolled them. I used toothpicks to secure them, dusted the
steaks with pepper and garlic and broiled them. They were a major
hit with the diners.

> What is crostini? Sounds good, though.

French bread sliced into thin rounds and toasted.

> > The New Years sideboard also contained caviar blinis
>
> Is this done with a thin pancake batter or something specific? I
> think the only pancakes I've ever had were the ones you put maple
> (or imitation) syrup on.

Pancake batter is okay if it isn't too sweet. They should be thinner than
pancakes but thicker than crepes. We'd made a homemade sour cream by
whipping heavy cream with some lemon juice.

> I do have some red caviar left over from using
> it to decorate some food, so this might be interesting. Hmmm. or maybe
> using a can of anchovies.

The anchovy and caviar would pretty much cancel each other out. I suggest
something of a different flavor, smoked salmon as an example. Or having
two different appetizers of blinis with anchovy and others with caviar.

> THLord  Stefan li Rous

Gunthar