SC - avocados

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jan 3 22:51:37 PST 2001

Olwen said:
> >Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > > Now some of us think including guacamole or avocado in any such item
> > > should be considered a criminal act of vandalism and food poisoning or
> > > perhaps just sickness...
>
> Geez, back in the early 70's in Haight Ashbury I used to buy avocodo honey
> at the natural food store.  Used to come by the pound or three pounds in a
> HUGE square jar.  It didn't take long to go through a 3 pounder...  Never
> see the stuff anymore.  Have had to make my own.

So, was this honey mixed with avocados? Or was this honey produced by
bees collecting avocado nector? If you are making your own, I assume
the latter. Sorry, sounds yucky to m. As Jana said "ewww green
slimy stuff".

I know the avocado plant is grown here in the New World. Did it originate
here? Or is it an Old World transplant? If so, does it show up in any
period recipes? Hmmm. Okay I consulted Waverly Roots "Food". It is native
to the Americas. It was first found in Columbia. And it was grown in the
US until the later part of the 1800s. It definitely doesn't look like
it made it to Europe within our period of study.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net