SC - Chinese Crab - Charibdys japonica

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 8 19:47:48 PST 2001

Drake & Meliora wrote:

> I'm currently redacting one of Ni Tsan's recipes - Honeyed Stuffed Crabs.
> Does anyone know anything about the crab I need to use Charibdys japonica.
> If I can see a piccie and get a description of the taste then maybe I can
> take a guess to which Aussie Crab to use.
>
> I'd toddle down to the National Library of Australia (15Km and 1 bus away)
> but I am housebound with Ulcerated Tonsils at the moment.  I've tried basic
> searches on Yahoo and Alta Vista with no success. Can anyone help?

For what it's worth, the crabs I've seen photographed in most Chinese
cookbooks _not_ published in the U.S.A., in settings that appear, in
fact, to be Chinese, show a crab that looks a great deal like either the
European torteau-type crab (larger, rounder and less pointy than, say,
the blue-claw crab most East Coast Americans are familiar with), which
is, in turn, a great deal like a Dungeness crab from the Pacific coast
of the U.S.A. I would guess there's an ozzie equivalent, if not the
actual species in question represented. Yes, I realize Australia has a
more or less unique ecosystem and all, but things are a little different
with marine animals, aren't they?

Is there any particular reason why you've settled on Charybdis japonica?
Ni Tsan's translator and editor for the PPC article says the recipe does
specify what type of crab is used, but goes on to say it's impossible
[at this time] to relate the descriptive terms used to any known
species. Has that situation changed?

The Chinese eat _quite_ a few crab species, including some freshwater
types.

Hoping this helps, not holding my breath...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com