SC - OOP: Chess Pie

sjk3 at cornell.edu sjk3 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 12 08:12:04 PST 2001

> "I'm looking to see if anyone knows the origin of why Chess pie is
> called what it is, <snip>
>
> * * * *
>
> Can anyone help her?  I checked several reference books at work,
> but none of them agree.  One says it comes from "chest" because
> it keeps well in a pie chest.  Another that it is deep like a chest.
> Several sources say the name derives from "cheese".  A cute (but
> dubious) story says that the creator of the recipe was asked what
> it was called, and replied, "It's jess' pie."
>
> Brighid, up *far* too late, making stuff to bring to 12th Night

    I tried looking this up in the online OED (working for a major
university does have some advantages :-), but had no luck.  Webster's
Third New International Dictionary has the following:

"chess pie also chess cake \'ches\ n [prob. alter. of cheese pie, cheese
cake] : a dessert consisting essentially of a filling made of eggs,
butter, and sugar and baked in individual tart shells of rich pastry"

HTH

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu