SC - What's the oldest thing in your fringe

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 15 10:05:04 PST 2001

Does it have to be in the fridge?

On the shelf:  an apothecary jar of plums in brandy and a tot of sugar, which
has travelled through two moves now.  Circa five years, give or take a summer.
I bet it's really good now.

In the freezer:  about three pounds of clarified duck fat from Caid Twelfth
Night about a year ago.  Never got around to making that confit, maybe it might
still be worth doing?

In other horror stories:  a friend who doesn't come around much tried to
construct a simple endive salad in my kitchen last night.  I realized how much
stuff I have in, urm, misleading labelling around the place.  "No, don't use
that apple vinegar, it's a soy sauce marinade.  Hrm, no, that's not it either,
that's plum-infused rice vinegar.  That sour cream is cucumber salad."  We had
to open new bottles of olive oil and tarragon vinegar for him to get what he
wanted.  Gads, I just dare Gordon Elliott to bring "Door Knock Dinners" to my
place.  Their ordinary chefs couldn't deal with my 'organization' nor my
ingredients;  do normal cooking schools teach you anything about Galingale and
Grains of Paradise?

Selene