digby's fruitcake was Re: SC - Cheesecake judging Laurels/Competitions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 16 03:39:48 PST 2001

In an obscure film noir made in 1949, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Selene commented:
> > I cooked Rosettes at a tourney out in a
> > city park last Saturday, and told curious local onlookers that they were
> > Medieval Churros.  It seemed to work as a referent familiar to the most modern
> > person.
>
> Uh, well, not to me. But then I'm not your average modern person. :-)
> I don't seem to get most of Adamantius' movie referances, either. :-(
>
> So what is a "Churro"? Or a "Rosette"? Recipe and redaction? Perhaps
> "Churro" is more of a Californian term?

I actually haven't heard of rosettes, myself, but I think a churro is a
Latino variant on the cruller or doughnut, usually extruded in a stick
form through a pastry bag with a rosette tip, so the final product is
ridged along its length. They don't seem to expand much in frying, so
I'm not sure if they're leavened with yeast, baking powder or
equivalent, or perhaps just with egg yolk, which would be my instinctive
bet. They seem to get rolled, when done, in granulated sugar. I see
people selling them from boxes and foil-covered trays on the streets and
in the subway system, actually, but have never seen them sold in any
kind of real commercial operation. Or perhaps I just go to the wrong bakeries.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com