SC - period lime use, rosaries

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 20:19:55 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 17 Jan 01, , that david friedman wrote:

> Our summary of the history of citrus in the Miscellany says:
>
> By the 13th  century lemon, sour orange, citron, and what is probably
> lime are described from northern Italy.

Herrera's agricultural manual (1513) specifically mentions limes in
the citrus fruit chapter.  Unfortunately, he doesn't go into much
detail about their use, only that large limes and oranges can be
preserved whole in a honey syrup.  I haven't noticed any other
references to limes in the Spanish/Catalan sources.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net