SC - mulled wine

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jan 17 23:26:15 PST 2001

Caitlin nicFhionghuin commented:
> The oldest thing in my fridge is an old bottle of Paul Masson wine
> (unopened) that we bought (along with another bottle) about 4-5 years ago
> for an experiment in mulled wine.  The first batch came out so nasty we
> never tried with the other.  Eventually, I'll do something with it just so I
> can have the decanter.

Do you think it was the wrong wine for this? Or perhaps the particular
spices you used? Even in period, the wine used was often the second
rate stuff. The spices helped cover up the taste.

You might be interested in seeing what spice mixtures and procedures
have worked for other people. If so, check these files in the BEVERAGES
section of the Florilegium:
Clarea-d-Agua-art (12K)  1/ 7/01    "Period drinks - Spiced Wines and
Sweet
                                       Waters" by Vicente Coenca.
spiced-wine-msg   (19K)  2/29/00    Spiced wines. Hippocras. Recipes.

If you'd like to try a different type of spiced beverage:
wassail-msg       (15K) 12/17/99    Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net