non-member submission - Re: SC - Almond butter?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 19 08:20:57 PST 2001

kirsty wrote:

> coming from scotland we dont realy have peanut butter so how do you make that?

Peanut butter is made by grinding roasted peanuts or groundnuts,
sometimes with just enough water to keep it all emulsified, to a thick
paste of varying degrees of smoothness. Commercial peanut butters
sometimes have sugar and/or other junk added.

Almond butter can be made modernly in this way, but almond butter in
period is a coagulated product not unlike bean curd, normally made from
heated almond milk mixed with a small amount of hot vinegar or wine,
which thickens it to a somewhat custardy consistency, after which it can
be drained through a cloth to whatever degree of firmness/dryness you
wish. I'll see if I can find a recipe; I think they start in
fifteenth-century English sources.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy