SC - Penn Family Recipes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jan 21 16:45:13 PST 2001

Daniel Phelps wrote:

> I'm having trouble posting this so I'm trying again.
>
> Mention was recently made regards "Penn Family Recipes; Cooking Recipes of
> >William Penn's Wife Gulielma".  The Bib. on that book says that it is
> edited
> >by Evelyn Abraham Benson, Trimmer Printing 1966, L of CCC # 66-12773
> >
> >The recipes are in the original language and unredacted.  They can, as a
> >collection, be reliably dated to at the latest around the mid 17th century.
> >While no medicinal recipes are provided reference is made to a large number
> >of such recipes including 29 pages of eye remedies reputed to have come
> from
> >her Grandmother.  Since her grandmother, mother and as well as she herself
> >were well known as healers these might indeed be of period interest.
> >
> >Daniel Raoul

I vaguely recall Giulielma Penn having passed on in 1694, or perhaps
that is the latest dated entry in the book. I think we're essentially in
the same boat as with Martha Washington's Cookery Booke. Some of the
content may be period, some may not, and it's hard to say which is which.

I know I've used her oatcake recipe as written documentation for
subsequent use of a technique very similar to that described by
Froissart, technique that seems to be pretty rare among the total corpus
of written recipes for oatcakes.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy