SC - Gyric's Feast Blues was First Feasts

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Jan 21 21:05:18 PST 2001

Marcus Antaya wrote:

> I am also unaware of the connotation of Troll...other than gatekeeper...
>
> Information anyone?

We've just been discussing this over on AnSaxnet (academic list for
Anglo-Saxon language, lit, and culture). A Troll is someone who pops up
on a list, asks a question peppered with hot buttons, or otherwise
deliberately provokes the list into an uproar. Apparently the problem is
rampant on UseNet and such. And I'm afraid that your initial post looked
very much like the work of a Troll.

This list is very like and extended family- we're friends. We do not
call each other Nazis (very carefully in jest... maybe. But generally
not). We are friends who are dedicated to cooking- learning about
cooking, translating and redacting recipes, and enjoying food that was
like that on the tables hundreds of years ago. We offer advice,
resources, and years of knowledge. An attitude of self-congratulation
and disdain of period cooking or period stuff in general is not likely
to play well with this crowd.

I'm sorry you have had bad feast experiences. I think we all have. Most
of us recognize that the outcome is not the fault of the recipe, any
more than the tricycle is bad because the assembly instructions are in
Urdu. Redactions (previously redacted recipes are readily available from
several sources you'll find on this list, including Stefan's
Florilegium) and recipes need to be tested thoroughly before the cook
buys the food and heads for the site. Disasters can be avoided. Tummies
can be happily filled with goodies from the tables of kings. And cheaply
too. And all without the Brownshirts.

'Lainie