SC - Alcohol in cooking

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Wed Jan 24 01:48:23 PST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Chris Stanifer wrote:

> Alcohol evaporates at a lower temperature than water,
> so if the liquid ingredients are brought to a boil,
> almost all of the alcohol will be driven off as
> alcohol vapor.  If you are boiling in a closed

No. Ethanol and water forms what is called an azeothrope. You will boil
off more of the alcohol than the water, but not completely.

According to the data on
http://www.diabetic-lifestyle.com/articles/sep99_cooki_1.htm you still
have 10% of the original alcohol after two hours simmering. Assuming
that you have an original concentration of 10% (e.g. on the same order
of magnitude as wine), then you will have to simmer the dish for 2 hours
to get it down to only one percent. A shorter cooking time will leave
more alcohol.

Anyone have a copy of the "Rubber Bible"[1] and can check if there is
data on this there?

/UlfR

[1] The CRC Handbook, only kinky if you are a *serious* geek.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
Christ died for our sins. Dare we make his martyrdom meaningless by not
committing them?
		-- Jules Feiffer