SC - cookbook sources and merchants

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 23 23:29:18 PST 2001

Prydwen asked:
> Is there anyway that the list members that have written cookbooks could
> send in the information to you to be collated into a bibliography, with web
> locations or mailing addresses where the books can be ordered?  Off and on
> , someone will list one book and info, or another will mention a book in
> passing, but it would be very nice if we could get them organized into a
> good resource list.

Well, in the meantime, what I would do in the case you mention is to take
a look at some of these files in the Florilegium FOOD-BOOKS section. I
don't have one, single file that meets all your requested format, but the
information does exist in these files:
merch-cookbks-msg (10K)  8/31/99    Merchants selling period cookbooks.
online-ckbks-msg  (12K)  1/ 5/01    Online versions of period cookbooks.

For cookbooks written my SCA folks:
cookbooks-SCA-msg (27K)  9/29/00    Cookbooks written by people in the SCA.

Many cookbook mentions are also in these files as well as some more
specialized ones such as the one dealing with Apicius cookbooks.
Unfortuantely, I'm behind in updating these files as I have so much
to add and they're so big already. I've got to break some of this out
to other files:
cookbooks-msg     (98K)  5/11/99    Reviews of cookbooks with medieval recipes.
                                       Messages posted before September 1995.
cookbooks2-msg    (96K)  5/11/99    Reviews posted between 9/95 and 11/97.
cookbooks3-msg   (120K)  5/11/99    Reviews posted after 11/97.

There are also several nice bibliographies in this section, some with
good annotations.

However, if you or someone else would like to maintain a file like you
are describing and keep it updated, I would be willing to host it on
the Florilegium.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net