SC - Odd Mail Behavior...

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Jan 24 10:27:58 PST 2001

> I sent a couple messages late last night that didn't make it to the
> list - i got "Could Not Deliver" messages. Then i sent a message
> recently and it went through. So i resent the messages from last
> night and they did not make it to the list. One was relatively short
> and the other was not very long.
>
> Anyone else having trouble with undeliverable mail?
>
> Could it be because of NoCal power outages?
>
> Anahita

I contacted the administrator for the majordomo servers about
some of the problems. Here is his response:

Unfortunately it's with your side. A bunch of sites are using old data
inappropriately. I've found out since that this is a feature of some DNS
servers and they have to be restarted to flush the bad data.

Btw, the earthlink problem is one of the truly painful ones. Some of
their DNS servers have the right information, but one of them has the
wrong information. Anything that uses the bad one will have problems for
now.

This will all sort itself out, but in the mean time it's very much a
pain in the ass. I planned on some of it and took measures to keep it
from happening, and then I ran into these completely unexpected problems.

Blech.

Ciao,

- --
Pug Bainter                                        |        AMD, Inc.
System Engineer, MTS                               |      Mail Stop 625
 Pug.Bainter at amd.com      |  pug at pug.net           |  5900 E. Ben White Blvd
 Phone: (512) 602-0364    |  Fax: (512) 602-6970   |     Austin, TX 78741
Note: The views may not reflect my employers, or even my own for that matter.

Things should be worked out now. But I do have one bit of advice. If you
can't seem to send a message out please don't keep hitting "SEND" and
hoping it will go through. As we have seen with some of these posts all
that happens is that when the logjam is finally released the list gets
hit with several messages repeating themselves. I do this list from
work so I'm usually not here when something breaks down at night or
on the weekends.

If you have a problem then please send a note to me and do not keep
posting the message.

Thanks,

Gunthar