SC - Myths -- Taillevent

Thu Jan 25 17:35:47 PST 2001

If we were talking German, I think we would be talking about a knight
(Ritter or "rider").  "Ecuyer" roughly translates as "rider".  However, this
is French and the word appears to derive from the Old French "escuier" or
esquire.  The term is likely being used to describe petite nobility, actual
rank being determined by the custom of time and place.

Bear