SC - Surviving Estrella War

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 16:55:33 PST 2001

- --- KallipygosRed at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 1/27/01 12:17:22 AM US Mountain
> Standard Time,
> stefan at texas.net writes:
>

> > Aren't these a bit contradictory? How can it be
> "especially dry" and
> > "rain at least one night"?
> >

> Not at all. Although to those who do not live in the
> Sonoran Desert may not
> realize it, the desert is generally surounded by
> mountains, which the Indians
> used to say, call the clouds into the basin. And
> these are not just any
> mountains, these are The Rockies. Desert can change
> temp overnight as much as
> 70 degrees or better.

Boy howdy!  I recall my first Estrella (year before
last..), and the vast difference in temperature
between daylight and nightfall (a beautiful 70 F
during the day, and a bitter 28 F at night).  And to
think I used to chide my ex-girlfriend for sleeping on
such an out-of-period air mattress.... a few inches of
insulating air between you and that freezing ground
can make a huge difference.

Balthazar of Blackmoor