SC - Rice Flour?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 31 08:23:22 PST 2001

Rice flour is finely ground rice, so if you don't find it in your part of the
country, choose the type of rice that fits your needs [long-grain, short-grain,
brown, whatever] and do thereto a food processor or a well-cleaned coffee grinder.  I
like "mochiko" rice flour made from mochi "glutenous" rice for baking purposes.
Try using rice flour instead of cornstarch in Scotch shortbread, you won't be sorry.
A usual proportion is one part rice flour to two parts regular flour.  It makes for a
nice texture and mildly gritty "bite" that makes every Scot to whom I've fed it get
homesick for Granmother's cooking.

Selene