SC - My first attempt at a period(ish) recipe. (Very Long!)

margali margali at 99main.com
Wed Jan 31 13:01:26 PST 2001

A simmer is not bubbling, it is a slight shimmering of the surface of
the liquid, at about 180 degrees fahrenheit. Things will cook a lot
differently at a simmer than at a breaking boil [or even a rolling boil]

I would guess that the clear liquid is the water extracted from the egg
yolks and cream, and the more opaque liquid is liquid mixed with
protein. I don't know for sure, but that is what it would seem to be.

Even something as smooth as yogurt will drip 'whey' when suspended in a
muslin bag.

I may have to try a batch of this to bring with my shortbread to Birka,
if I can get decent almonds at the exchange tomorrow.
margali

- --

MarilynTraber at FictionForest.com
HTTP://WWW.FictionForest.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Quote Starts Here:
I have since seen a post that said the term "wame" (I think) meant boil,
and the
term boil actually meant simmer. This might have made a difference, but
Im not
sure, as the curds started to form as soon as the bubbles started.

I strained this in a couple of layers of cheesecloth. If I removed the
mixture
from the heat prior to boiling and curdling, It wouldn't really strain,
would it?
I would think that it would just run through the cloth, or would I need
to use
fabric instead. How long should it be allowed to drain? When I drained
it, it
looked like what drained out was a very clear deep yellow fatty liquid,
and an
more solid looking pale yellowish liquid.