SC - avocados

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 4 04:43:58 PST 2001

Trierarch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 03-Jan-01 10:47:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> stefan at texas.net writes:
>
> <<
>  I know the avocado plant is grown here in the New World. Did it originate
>  here? Or is it an Old World transplant? If so, does it show up in any
>  period recipes? Hmmm. Okay I consulted Waverly Roots "Food". It is native
>  to the Americas. It was first found in Columbia. And it was grown in the
>  US until the later part of the 1800s. It definitely doesn't look like
>  it made it to Europe within our period of study. >>
>
> The avocado is native to Cental and South America, where is has been
> cultivated for centuries.  Avocado come from the Aztec word Abuacalt.  Early
> Spanish explorers observed the cultivation, and although brought many
> examples back to Europe, it did not become popular until recently.  However,
> there existed a fruit similar to the avocado, which is much smaller, and
> grows in Greece.  I currently have no references to period use of these
> "avocados."  Other than my Aunt, who lives in Athens, and says they have been
> there "forever" :)

It probably should be noted, if in an aside, that fairly standard
American English usage up until at least the 1950's included references
to avocados as alligator pears, avocado pears, and my favorite, the
avocado salad pear.

Just an indirect gauge of the mainstream familiarity of the
Anglo-American culture with this indigenous product...regional
exceptions notwithstanding.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy