SC - European teaspoons

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Thu Jan 4 05:49:41 PST 2001

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Nanna Rognvaldardottir wrote:

[Good explanation of why it is like I guessed removed]

> American one 237 ml, the metric cup - which isn't really a standardized
> metric measurement - is usually 250 ml but can be 200 ml or 300 ml, and any

Or the older Swedish cup, of 150 ml.

> cup you come across in an Icelandic recipe is likely to be Aunt Sigga's old
> blue cracked coffecup, which may measure just about anything from 150 ml
> upwards.

But it makes sense to cook that way! I would be severly handicapped for
several hours in my SCA camp cooking if I ever lost two wooden cups. I
know that 8 of the smaller of oats to 14 of the larger of water (brought
to a boil *first*, as is the One True Way to make oatmeal) makes a
perfect porridge for 6-7 people. I have no idea what this translates to
in any *units*.

And I know that the familly standard cup exists in Sweden as well. Four
of those and "lagom"[1] of sugar makes the perfect cookie...

/UlfR

[1] A very convenient word. Translates different depending on context,
but is usually close to "about right", or "(a) suitable (amount)".

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
Go to hell! or other insult direct is all the answer a snoopy question rates.
- -- Lazarus Long (R.A. Heinlein)