SC - A Turkish recipe...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 9 10:28:14 PST 2001

david friedman wrote:

> What Islamic sect is it that believes that pouring the first drop
> satisfies the requirement? That sounds implausible to me--more like a
> good story than a real legal doctrine--but I could easily be wrong.

It sounds as if it would require considerable rationalization to make it
work, legally, anyway. Of course, the original language may help with
this, but, for example, why is the _second_ drop not considered a
"single drop", and therefore forbidden? For that matter, if you're going
to drink in quantity, why is the first drop not covered by a blanket
statement of, "I did not drink a single drop, I drank thousands,"? The
text passage doesn't seem to make any reference at all to oblations to Allah.

Is there agreement that "you shall not allow so much as a single drop to
pass, etc." or "you shall not allow the first drop, etc." are even
reasonable English translations?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy