SC - Chinese Crab - Charibdys japonica

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 9 15:11:45 PST 2001

margali wrote:

> Gee, when i lived in Virginia Beach I used to go out to Lynhaven Fishing
> Pier after work 2 or 3 days a week with a couple of tidewater nets and a
> few chicken backs and get a large camping cooler full of the little
> blighters, and promptly turn around and trade them to the fish market by
> Lynhaven bridge for different types of fish. Made a great way to vary my
> diet [I was making next to nothing and had to eat as cheaply as
> possible.] as the only other fishes I seemed to catch were sea
> robin/monkfish, flounder and croaker.
> margali

[Adamantius leans back in split-cane rocker, puffs corn-cob pipe and
adopts husky Grandpaw voice...)

Ah, yesssh, I remember, years ago, when I was knee-high to Alan Ladd,
when I used to do pretty much the same thing (the fishing, including the
crabbing part), riding my bike to the First Broad Channel Bridge,
dodging lunatic drivers on Crossbay Boulevard, coming home with a bag of
foot-long "snapper" bluefish, porgies, small croakers known,
inexplicably and locally, as Lafayettes (because they are here?), small,
probably illegally so, flounder, and losing, on one epic occasion, a
striped bass probably weighing about 22 pounds. Which, considering that
when I tried to get it out of the water using a light rod and probably
six-pound-test line, I came up with a hook bent straight by gravity, was
an interesting experience.

Ahhh, the fish stories... I really miss Jean Shepard. Yet another of the
dozens of great cultural icons I would gladly have traded Frank Sinatra
to the Grim Reaper, to save.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy