SC - Chinese Crab - Charibdys japonica

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jan 9 15:42:58 PST 2001

Thanks for your thoughts.  Yes, I know that they shouldn't be expensive here, but they
are, unfortunately.  When we purchased a bushel of crabs for a party this summer, it
ran in excess of $130!!!  Yeah, soft shell crabs would probably give us more to work
with, but even those are pricey.  And their availability is limited only to the summer
months, when they are in that molting/getting a new shell stage.  I also have to admit
to getting mental picture of someone with a crab between two pieces of bread, with the
legs hanging out!  Softshell crab sandwiches are great!  But they do look TRULY weird.

Kiri