Saumon Gentil (was: SC - Re: SC- Turkish Food)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jan 10 05:12:12 PST 2001

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> 1. This is one of the more glaring culinary errors perpetrated by Hieatt
> and Butler in an otherwise good edition (CoI). I believe this is pretty
> straightforward, and that nobody ever intended the bones to be ground,
> or any such nonsense. Fillet the fish, grind the _meat_, season it,
> extrude it, poach, drain, plate, garnish, serve. It's a salmon dish, and
> you take out the bones before grinding it, fer Heaven's sake... with all
> respect to two great scholars, I have to borrow an expression from my
> kid: "Du-uh!!!"
>
> 2. Don't be too scrupulous about trimming away the salmon's fat. It'll
> taste a tiny bit fishier, but then it _is_ fish (it should taste like
> chicken???) and it'll be moister.

It occurs to me that they might have assumed that many folks might try
this using canned salmon (---shudder---). After canning, the bones are
really soft and could be ground, adding calcium to the mix. I don't like
them, but my mom used to pick out the vertebrae and eat them. And to the
fat, the canned stuff has bits of skin and fat that you have to pick
out- they are slimy and beyons gross. I used to give them to our cat.

If you are using fresh salmon I think what you've said applies.

'Lainie